Monday, December 15, 2008
Saturday, November 29, 2008
I sit here in an alien country counting the days to get back to India...It my city again... a mockery of its spirit, a mockery of its multi cultarilism , a mockery of its open arms..
I feel anger, pain ,sorrow ... but the feeling that engulfs me and is killing me is the one of helplessness...
I face questions here..
This happens very often in India doesn't it??
Why do u look so tense ... Mumbai always gets back to normalcy!!!
People talking to me about partying on this day of tragedy like I come from a militancy infested state!!!
Why is India always blaming its neighbour?
Why didn't we talk about 9/11 in the same breath ... like a normal terrorist attack....
Because the country made it a big thing... because the common man questioned it... because he thought only if he lived and died in dignity could he demonstrate his true spirit!!!
I know its a matter of livelihood... but without ' live' there is no meaning to the word...
It is time we all came out strongly...not just asking questions in our circles but through morchas. through voting, through rallies,public demonstrations,student movements,youth movement....that's how our country got freedom from foreign rule and that is the only way we can get freedom from a weak and indecisive rule!
Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Jo dil mein taare waare de jaga
Wo tu hi hai tu hi hai
Jo rote rote de hansa
Tu hi hai wohi
Jaane kyun dil jaanta hai
Tu hai to I ll be all right
On the vulgarity..err..reality show front... Monica Bedi has made a come back into 'the house'!!!! I was hoping it would be poor man's Rakhi Sawant,Sambhavana... so that Roomie and me could get more cheap thrills watching B grade actresses fight for 'whos more upmarket' title and UPDE ; Ugly Public Display of Everything(Payal's intolerable voice, Unfit Rahuls bare chest, and Raja's ' for haven's sake' language)..Anyways back to dearest desh drohi Monica.. .. its time for the biggest love triangle ever... so pls dont miss today's episode!!! ( No Big Boss does not pay me... surprising no!)
Sunday, September 28, 2008
2. What color are your socks? Right now no socks on otherwise white
3. What are you listening to right now? Water in the bathroom
4. What was the last thing that you ate? Breakfast.. Sevai with Rajma ( I know... weird combination!!)
5. Can you drive a stick shift? No
6. Last person you spoke to on the phone? Aparna
7. Do you like the person who sent this to you? Yess !
8. How old are you today? 25
9. What is your favorite sport to watch on TV? Tennis
10. What is your favorite drink? Nimbu Paani
11. Have you ever dyed your hair? No
12. Favorite food? Seafood
13. What is the last movie you watched? Yun hota to kya hota
14. Favorite day of the year? 31st Dec - 1st Jan .. I love the New year spirit!!
15. How do you vent anger? Shout /Cry
16. What was your favorite toy as a child? I never played with toys.. but I guess my cooking set.
17. What is your favorite season? Winter all the way... it cold outside and you can get warm and cosy inside with a book and hot munchies
18. Cherries or Blueberries? Cherries . I have never tasted blueberries
19. Do you want your friends to e-mail you back? As in?? If i mail them...?? yes obviously!!
20. Who is the most likely to respond? Rachit
21. Who is least likely to respond? Everyone else
22. Living arrangements? Great
23. When was the last time you cried? Hmm... watching Mumbai meri Jaan
24. What is on the floor of your closet? Nothing
25. Who is the friend you have had the longest that you are> sending to? ??? What?
26. What did you do last night? Watched Big Boss!!! :):)
27. What are you most afraid of being lost? Dignity
28. Plain, cheese, or spicy hamburgers? I dont have hamburgers
29. Favorite dog breed(s): Labrador!!!!
30. Favorite day of the week? Saturday
31. How many states have you lived in? Only one!!! Maharashtra!!
32. Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds
33. What is your favorite flower? Lilies
Friday, September 26, 2008
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
This is for the non veggies... fish is an excellent source of protein as we all know and according to me the best thing on the unappetizing diet plate... ( I prefer fish to chicken)
2 fish slices/fillets
Ginger garlic paste - 1tsp
Fat free curd - 2tbsps
Salt - as per taste
Tumeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Lime juice/Vinegar - 1 tbsp
1) Mix all the ingredients except fish together and make a smooth paste
2) Marinate the fish in this mixture for 15 minutes
3) Get your steamer ready... you can use an idli vessel/or a perforated steamer vessel which is available in most of the stores
4) Place the fish pieces in the steamer vessel and the steamer vessel in ur normal pressure cooker and cook w/o the weight for 20 minutes on a medium flame
5) Alternatively you can also cook the entire thing along with the curd marination (becomes the gravy) in a pan with a tempering of 1/4 tsp mustard oil and mustard seeds
6) Serve with a lil lemon squeezed and have it with brown rice to make a nice meal!
PS: The weighing scales show I have lost 5 kilos :):)...
Monday, September 01, 2008
Stangely my crushes have always been the untoasted people of the season...
Akshay Kumar as early as I remember got my heart racing in a dud movie called Dhadkan... I remember my cousin calling him a monkey and me defending him fiercely...
Salman Khan in Khamoshi... one of the few movies where he wasnt displaying his bare torso ...melted my heart
A. R.Rahman asking the reporter on national television what the meaning of the word 'muse' was made me go awwwww
Hrithik Roshan's goofy avtaar in Lakshya made me fall in love with him...
and as I reflect why it was not a Hera Pheri, HAHK, or Dhoom which made me go gaga over these stars.....
Well guess that's because the characters they played were designed to have that kind of an effect on the audience and seemed too contrived.. The characters which I liked had one common quality about them ...simplicity and that was very endearing...
Simplicity as it is said is the peak of civilization...
The musical genuis accepting on national television that he did not know the meaning of the word just reaffirms this fact!
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Selfish to the Core
Loads of Laughter
Lots of Adventure
Loads of Love
.....A special bond!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Fat Free Curd( You can use Amul masti dahi too just has 78 calories in 100 gms)- 1/2 cup
Capsicum - 1 finely chopped
Tomates -2 Deseeded and finely chopped
Onion -1 finely chopped
And add anything else from this list.. raisins, badams(high fat so limited),mushrooms,paneer,chicken pieces,corn,(high carb so beware),olives,pickles,brocolli,cauliflower,boiled eggs(avoid the yolk),cabbage strips,lettuce
Crushed garlic - 2 pods or you can use readymade garlic paste
Olive oil - (optional)
Black pepper Powder
One Sugarfree pellet
Limejuice or vinegar -1 tbsp
1)Hang the curd using any old handkerchief for 10 minutes squeeze out the water ( You can just use the curd directly if you want but that will turn the salad a little watery)
2) To this add salt ,pepper,sugarfree tablet,garlic paste,vinegar,mint/coriander leaves,oregano,olive oil and mix well
3) In a big bowl add all the remaining ingredients along with some lime juice
4) Add the dressing
5) Mix well and serve chilled
It might not sound appetizing but trust me it tastes decent enough and fills you stomach!
PS Add very little groundnuts/roasted moondal orchanna/chivda to give it that crunchiness
Thursday, August 07, 2008
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Got tagged by Bala so here I go!Was too long so jus answering as much as I can!
1. Good Music
2. Good Book
3. Good Movie
1. Losing loved ones
2. Living on the streets
1. To start something of my own
2. To retire half as rich as the Ambanis now
3. To be size 1 :):)
3 RANDOM SURPRISING FACTS:
None.I am boring.
3 CURRENT OBSESSIONS:
1. Looking for my first car
3 PEOPLE WHO MAKE ME LAUGH:
3 THINGS I DONT UNDERSTAND:
2. Need to rape/molest/evetease
3. Electronics Engineering
3 THINGS I HATE:
1. Malicious Criticism
2. Laughter Challenge
3. Bad Attitude
3 THINGS I AM DOING RIGHT NOW:
3 THINGS I THINK YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO:
1. Your heart ( cliched but I believe it!)
2. Mohammed Rafi
3. Pandit Jasraj
Monday, July 07, 2008
Despite it being an outrageous and garrulous fashion fiesta in the guise of a movie, despite its apotheosis of a man’s presence in woman’s life, despite the lack of even a semblance of a story line, despite the girls looking botoxed…. I liked the movie… and I love the series!
The reason is simple. The basic underlying principle of solid and enduring friendship appeals to me. I have always been a sucker for romance more so the friendship beyond reason kind of romance. My favorite characters have been Karna ( Mahabharata) and Hassan (Kite Runner) !The girls remind me of my closest school friends M&M.These are the people who’ll stand by me knowing that I have done the silliest thing in the world and never be judgmental!
So even though Carrie and her girls come across as regressive male obsessed dating creatures… they are unpretentious, warm and caring... and stand for something extremely rare… simple,hasslefree and everlasting friendship !
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
2)A mp3 player full of Hindi Songs is so not happening!So i tried adding the Linking parks,Norah Jones and U2s of the world but in vain... It is Beedi and Billo that get me moving ,Tashan that gets me grooving and well I find Jashn e Bahara very soothing!
3) I tried eating at the Little Itlays,Bombay Blues,The Parks of the world... their servings make me feel I am in primary school...Give me a Srishti or Discovery any day who acknowledge the fact that I am 25 yrs old and so is my appetite!!
4) And I finally I give up trying to read The Economic Times and the Mckinsey Quarterly... I really find my peace and all the news I need in Midday and Mumbai Mirror!!
Saturday, April 26, 2008
If I take a test on choosiness quotient , I know I would score a straight D-. If there is one word that can describe me perfectly it is indecisive which has lead to most of the decisions in my life being made with what the world thinks is the right think to do and world = Family,friends,celebrities,counselors and all that jazz...
I have never chosen the dresses I wear,its either my mom or my aunt...
I have no specific choices in food,whatever the group wants...
I didn't choose what I wanted to do after 10th or 12th like most of the students...
I didn't even choose the kind of specialization I wanted to do in engineering...
and true to my character I was again on the verge of not choosing what I want to do after engineering..
and then something changed I chose not to go the beaten path of MS in the US and decided to stay back and work with L&T...
I chose to work in a men dominated Sales and Marketing team of L&T...
I chose to pursue my MBA and join NITIE
I chose to join the placement committee and give up the holiday called NITIE...
I chose to pursue Consulting as my career...
And these choices have brought in more confidence than ever because they have been just my decisions with no influences ...
Each one of these decisions have been made after I have talked to myself and found out what I really want and the feeling is great because I love what I do and am successful in it..
Maybe the same thing goes for dressing up .. I have never really had a personal style or taste or wondered what I want to look like..in fact have never bought a dress alone..same for eating..I have never wondered what right for me and what my body wants ..
And I realize maybe thats why I am never confident of what I wear cos I have never involved myself in the decision of what to where and never took a decision on how to look!!
So the resolution is I am going to take tremendous interest in how I look,what i wear,what I eat ! and i am going to make my roomy to go wow on my dressing sense!!
(Phew so much f0r an insipid comment and an equally insipid decision!)
Friday, March 14, 2008
The story tried to define what home is..it is a place where you were born and bred... a place which has all your precious memories... a place where you feel at peace.. a place you would never want to give up for anything...
I found the play a brilliant parallel to the current sentiment against so called 'Non-Mumbaikars'
I have been born and brought up in Maharashtra.The only other language that I am comfortable with other than English is Marathi. My favourite breakfast is Kande Poha.I know the stories of Shivaji Maharaj inside out.I topped my class in the Xth Marathi Exams.I love the books of PuLa.Whenever the flight arrives at the Mumbai airport and I inhale the air filled with smoke and dust I feel I have come home..I fought for a transfer to Mumbai and when people ask me so 'Where are you from?' pat comes the answer 'Mumbai'...Chennai /Tamilnadu(my so called home town) aren't there in the remotest corner of my mind..So when someone says I'm an outsider...I am hurt and confused.This as much my home as theirs...My ancestors not living here doesn't dilute the fact that I have spent the most precious years of my life here and I feel as much for this land as any 'Marathi Manoos'(Maharshtrian) does...Mumbai is my janmabhoomi and karmabhoomi...infact I would say'Jis Mumbai nahi dekhya woh jamya hi nahi'...
And most importantly I belong to India....whichever part of the country I goto I never feel lost.... the dirty roads, the narrow bylanes,the beggars,the buses,people helping you out with directions, the chai shops and the pan pattis,the sabzi mandis and yes even the lecherous men :).. its all the same...So how can someone stop me from living in any part of the country when the whole is mine !!!!
Home doesn't mean living with the people with the same lingual or religious background...infact it has nothing to do with the people around you or your forefathers or your generations to come...it is a place which you would like to call yours...it is a place where you are most comfortable i... it is a place which you feel you belong to... and noone has the right to take that away from you...cos home is where the heart is!!!